Summer Innovation Stipends
Chandler administrators sowed new seeds in faculty professional development three years ago when they tested summer innovation stipends.
Now this internally-designed program, which was funded in 2015-16 by Chandler Family Associates, is a cornerstone of the school's professional development model. Reflecting the professionalism, insight, creativity and cooperation of Chandler’s exceptional faculty members, summer innovation stipends have:
- helped teachers implement new types of assessments to benefit all learners
- prompted interdisciplinary units, such as using scientific techniques to understand history
- increased tinkering time in lower grades through curricular tie-ins
- incorporated school-wide STEAM and language arts goals into the gardening program
- enhanced math comprehension by using new supplementary materials
- boosted academic performance by harnessing the body-mind connection
- brought diversity and culture to life by tapping into local Los Angeles resources
- personalized the service-learning program by connecting students with local organizations
To receive a summer innovation stipend, Chandler faculty develop proposals and abstracts, keep a learning log, and share their progress with colleagues.
“Faculty pour so much intelligence and passion into these projects, I’d say it has already exceeded our expectations,” noted Lower School Director Gayle Cole.
The ultimate beneficiaries, of course, are Chandler students in every grade level, as they are taught by a faculty with an unparalleled commitment to growth and success. Thank you, CFA, for making our faculty a priority for your support.